Last Revised 3/02/01
Cayuga Lake Watershed Steward
The Cayuga Lake Watershed Steward serves as a facilitator and coordinator for the
watershed. The role of the Watershed Steward may change over time and as the needs
for education, communication and leadership change with the watershed. Specific
- Provide a highly visible source for citizens to seek information or referrals to the
best source for information about the watershed.
- Provide a common presence at many meetings throughout the watershed to facilitate
communication between groups.
- Assist and engage citizen participation in the development of the watershed management
- Facilitate collaborations and coalitions within the watershed related to specific
- Help identify emerging issues and problems within the watershed.
- Assist in structuring the Cayuga Lake Watershed Network and other sub-watershed groups
and providing leadership for citizen and organizational involvement in watershed issues.
- Actively pursue funding opportunities and foster partnerships to implement the emerging
management plan, maximize water quality improvement activities, provide education and
outreach to a variety of audiences, address appropriate infrastructure enhancement needs,
improve land use practices including agriculture, and conduct much needed research.
- Contribute to the research dialogue by encouraging research that is relevant and useful
in the Cayuga Lake Watershed including community-based research, citizen monitoring,
agricultural best management practices research, and other practical approaches.
Additionally, work with agency and institutional researchers to determine existing
research data that could and should be made available to the public.
Return to Coordination, Collaboration and Partnerships
Return to Education
To contact the
Cayuga Lake Watershed
CLW IO 2004