CAYUGA LAKE WATERSHED
INTERMUNICIPAL ORGANIZATION MEETING
3/28/01, 7:00 – 9:00 P.M.
Seneca Falls Town Hall
Seneca Falls, New York

MINUTES

George Kennedy (Town of Ulysses) AR*
Carolyn Grigorov (Town of Ithaca)- R*
Larry Fabbroni (City of Ithaca) – R*
Jerry Codner (Town of Lansing) – AR*
Dan Winch (Tompkins County_ -R*
Jim Malyj, Seneca County SWCD
Eli Shockey (Village of Union Springs)-R*
Kathy Bertuch, CNY RPDB
Jackie Cassaniti (Town of Caroline) – R*
Dave Morehouse (Town of Ledyard)-R*
John Sipos (Towns of Covert and Varick)-R*
Dave Zorn (GFLRPC)
Sylvia Hurlbut (Town of Ledyard) – AR*
Sharon Anderson (Tompkins County)-R*
Katrina Greenley (Town of Lansing)-R*
Deb Grantham (Town of Dryden) – R*
Michele Wunderlich, Cayuga County Planning
Jose Lozano, City of Ithaca
Barbara Stewart (Village of Interlaken)-R*

R=designated representative for municipality
RA=designated alternate representative for municipality
*Municipality has signed and submitted the “Call for Cooperation” (intermunicipal agreement)

1. Welcome, Introductions, Approval of Minutes: Meeting began at 7:00 P.M. S. Hurlbut welcomed everyone. Introductions were made.

2. Committee Sign Up: The IO will be incorporated by July 2001. This will coincide with the completion of the DOS grant. IO members need to take responsibility for maintaining the IO and its work by signing up to staff the committees outlined in the bylaws. Individual committees will determine meeting locations. No further questions were raised regarding the staffing/function of the committees. Members were directed to volunteer for committee service by signing appropriate committee sheets following the meeting.

3. Open Discussion on Staffing and Funding Needs of the IO: S. Hurlbut noted that the staffing and funding
needs of the IO will change upon completion of the current DOS contract in July. The IO must address these needs and develop solutions now to ensure the viability of the organization.

D. Morehouse asked how other similar organizations are funded. D. Zorn replied that the successful organizations pull funding from state and federal sources as well as from member municipalities. He cited the Canandaigua watershed group that has developed a formula for calculating municipal contributions, but also relies on state and federal grants. He noted that it is necessary for any organization to maintain a minimal level of funding for normal operating expenses. The DEC sponsored Consultant/Organization Facilitator can help the IO work through the process of defining its funding needs and options.

J. Lozano noted that the IO is trying to coordinate county Water Quality Coordinating Committees that may lead to funding opportunities. Once identified, he suggests that staff time be devoted to obtaining those funds. S. Hurlbut replied that the IO needs its own staff for such tasks. D. Zorn stated that the release of the RPP will help the IO access significant funding sources. S. Hurlbut stated that the IO will be eligible to directly receive funding once it is granted not-for –profit status (501-C3).

K. Bertuch noted that the administrative needs of the IO in its current form are great. She suggested that a provision be made to continue administrative coverage between July and September 2000. She suggested that municipalities consider rotating administrative coverage until a new, permanent Administrative Center be named.

D. Grantham questioned the use of municipal dues to bridge the administrative gap. S. Hurlbut state that the anticipated IO membership dues balance will exceed $20,000 in August, 2001 and will be available to help set up first year operational needs including administrative needs through September. She suggests that municipalities consider rotating administrative staff responsibility.

J. Lozano suggests that the Finance Committee determine the operational deficit for a 5-year period and then work to fill it. The IO needs more structure and staff. S. Hurlbut replied that the Consultant/Organization Facilitator will help identify staff needs.

4. Committee Reports: EOPP Committee: S. Anderson reported that a newsletter is being planned. The intent is
to provide the public with a broader awareness of the IO and the RPP. It is estimated that the postage cost will be approximately $1,400 and the Printing costs approximately $1,000. Articles are being written and co-written by members of the EOPP and Technical Committees. Funding for the newsletter originated from Assemblyman Finch’s office as a grant from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. The newsletter will be mailed to approximately 22,000 watershed households.

Media contact information was s requested. J. Sipos offered to include information provided by the EOPP Committee in the Federation of Sportsmen Newsletter. J. Lozano suggested that the CLWN newsletter is an appropriate format for a summary of the RPP.

C. Grigorov suggests that the newsletter should clarify what work has been done to date. She referred to a recent letter from the Sierra Club proposing a study that would duplicate past efforts. D. Morehouse stated that people are interested in knowing who is involved in the IO. S. Anderson suggested a map might be an appropriate graphic representation of who is involved.

D. Grantham wrote a response letter to the Sierra Club as the Town of Dryden Representative to the IO. She distributed copies of the response letter and moved that the IO respond to the Sierra Club with a letter stating what the IO does and what efforts are already in place. G. Kennedy seconded. Motion passed with one objection.

The next round of public participation meetings is scheduled between 5 May and 31 May. Dates will be finalized shortly. The next EOPP meeting will be on 19 April. Location TBA.

Technical Committee: D. Zorn presented the on-line, draft RPP. The hard copy/printed version will not reflect the on-line layout. The final RPP will be approximately 50 to 60 pages in length. The web and CD versions will include layers of background and support material/information.

D. Grantham suggested that recommendations be grouped (NPS/Point Source). D. Zorn wants to avoid the impression that any recommendations/issues are more or less important than others. Only one point source is listed (wastewater treatment facilities). By contract, DOS specified the RPP look at nonpoint sources, but the IO ranked WWT highly.

The Agriculture Committee has been reviewing and commenting on the Ag. Chapter and has done a tremendous job. The EOPP was been working on the draft RPP and will join forces with the Technical Committee to write the Introduction and Preface sections. The entire Technical Committee has done a whale of a job over the past 6-8 months.

The Technical Committee will meet on 10 April to review comments. Minor revisions will be made between 10 April and 15 April. The draft will go to print on or around 15 April. The final draft will be distributed in advance of the May public participation meetings. Comments on the draft final will be incorporated in June and the final RPP, in fulfillment of DOS requirements, will be released in July (hard copy and CD-ROM).

The next Technical Committee meeting will be at 10:00 A.M on 10 April at Wells College.

Agriculture Committee: D. Zorn reported that the Agriculture Committee has been focusing on review of the Ag sections of the draft RPP. They will meet again on 25 April at 9:30 A.M. Location TBA.

Grant & Finance Committee: S. Hurlbut stated that the Grant & Finance Committee has been working with the IO/Network Joint Committee. They will meet at the Ithaca Wastewater Treatment Facility on 23 April at 4:00 P.M. to brainstorm projects and funding options.

5. Additional Discussions: S. Hurlbut announced that a special workshop is being planned for IO members and Technical Committee representatives at 4:30 on 12 April at the Ledyard Town Hall. IO members were asked to volunteer to help develop quantifiable measures to assess the success of recommendations made in the RPP. The IO needs to take responsibility for making the goals of the RPP measurable and time specific as the IO will be responsible for implementing the RPP. D. Zorn will invite all members of the Technical Committee.

K. Bertuch stated that the Consultant/Organization Facilitator RFP is ready to be sent out. Suggestions for potential candidates were solicited.

6. Set Agenda Items and Date For Next Meeting: The next meeting of the IO will be held on April 25 at the Interlaken Baptist Church in Interlaken.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:35 P.M.

Summary of Votes
Vote
Outcome
IO should respond to the Sierra Club with a letter stating what the IO does and what efforts are already in place.
Carried


Return to index


To contact the Cayuga Lake Watershed Intermunicipal Organization.

or email info@cayugawatershed.org

CLW IO 2002